Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Lasting Impact of Volunteering

My name is Madi and I have been involved in Hands4Hope for the last year and a half. I joined the program because I wanted to help my community and give to others less fortunate than myself. 
I started with intent of entering to help others but I have learned so much about myself as well. 
Today I was fortunate enough to participate in the Sacramento Outreach program. At this outreach we make lunches and go disperse them to those in need in Sacramento area. We made about 250 lunches, and loaded the car with blankets, socks, soaps, books, shoes, and tooth brushes.

We set up camp around 12:00 and the turn out was amazing. All the items went so fast, we needed more of everything! 
One of the most memorable moments was when these four men came up to our table, soaking wet. It was not raining yet but it was extremely cold out. The men opened up to us and told us their story:

They live on the river bottoms, off Richards Blvd. They set up their whole lives there. The storm the last few days has caused the river to rise, as well as water being let out of the dam. This morning their whole lives were washed away. They lost everything, every single thing they owned. The four men were wet because they were trying to save anything they could. 

Seeing these men reminded me and my peers about how fortunate we are and opened our eyes to the amount of giving that needs to occur for those in need. There is still so much that could be done! 

With each of my outreaches I learn something about others and myself, they continue to open my eyes and heart. Hands4Hope teaches youth to make a difference in others lives, my experiences will stay with me the rest of my life and I know I will continue to serve those around me. 

You help those in need, and they help you. 
We went there to fill their stomachs and they filled our hearts more then they'd ever know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment