Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Youth Volunteer Spotlight: Dylan & Sam

Dylan (left) and Sam

Brothers Dylan & Sam started volunteering with Hands4Hope to fulfill school requirements, but quickly learned they love being a part of Hands4Hope and getting out in their community.

12 year old Dylan says Homeless Outreach Sacramento is his favorite event to volunteer at. "I was kind of scared at first but then I liked talking to them. It made me feel happy because they're funny and special," he said. "[Being on the street] has taught me not to judge or make guesses about people," he said. "Some people are born into this but I don't need to judge people, I just need to help them."

10 year old Sam says he also loves the Homeless Outreach, the Food Bank Blitz, but recently he had a unique experience at our Winter Boutique. "One time while I was sorting clothes, I saw a kid from my school come in [to receive free assistance]. It made me realize kids at my own school didn't have enough money for clothes," he said. "At first, I wasn't friends with him, but now I have a better understanding about him."

Both boys said volunteering has made them realize how fortunate they are. "I love volunteering, it teaches you to be more generous and compassionate," Dylan said. "I never realized I could make a difference, but little actions can make a big change."

"I thought it was normal to have a house and family, and now I have realized not everyone does," said Sam.

Both boys have spent at least one weekend a month volunteering, and both say they are happy they got involved with Hands4Hope.

"I certainly hope I volunteer forever... it just teaches you to be a better person," said Dylan.

Thank you for all you do, boys!  We are so happy to have you on our Hands4Hope team.

3 comments:

  1. Dylan and Sam I am so very proud of you boys you both are a wonderful example selfless loving goodness!
    I also work with the homeless on the east coast and I am telling you as God is my witness I receive far more from the wonderful people I have the privilege of serving and consider it a complete privilege to do so. I am sure you both know what I am talking about.
    Keep up the good work you lead by example!
    Chris Kelly
    NY, Nj, Del, PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot. I know what you mean. Dylan.

      Delete