Friday, December 1, 2017

Teacher Spotlight: Geoff Skjelbred


Hands4Hope would like to recognize all of the teachers who support our Club Programs, and act as mediums between our staff and the school administration. This month’s Teacher Advisor Spotlight focuses on Geoff Skjelbred at Herbert Green Middle School. He has been a great support to the Hands4Hope 5/6 Grade Club!

1. What school do you teach at and which club do you advise?

I teach fifth grade at Herbert C. Green School in Placerville.  I allow the fifth/sixth grade Hands4Hope group to use my room as a meeting place.

2. What is your impression/experience with Hands4Hope youth?
I am impressed at how well trained the leaders are and how independent they are when running the meetings.  Equally impressive is how well the other students respond to the leaders.  There is always a high participation rate at the meetings.

3. Is there anything that you've enjoyed most/been most surprised by in interacting with the club?

I now have a higher awareness of Hands4Hope and quickly tune in when I hear about it while in the community.  The other day I was in a line and I overheard one woman telling another that her daughter was accepted into her first choice college.  This was because of a solid resume that included Hands4Hope.  The mother had nothing but praise for Hands4Hope.  I was surprised at the positive reputation that Hands4Hope has in the greater community.  At the fifth grade level, Hands4Hope is still an entry-level program.  After overhearing that conversation, I understand how it provides the foundation for students who continue in the program through high school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment