Friday, December 23, 2011

Youth Volunteer Spotlight: Olivia

{Olivia is on the right}
Olivia started volunteering for Hands4Hope 3 years ago after being recruited by family friends. Since then, she has become very involved with the organization and with the Marina Village Middle School Club.

Most recently, she helped plan and coordinate the Winter Boutique in Town Center for families in need to shop during the holidays. "It's really cool because you get to know the people and families who come in," she said. "Everyone is so grateful and kind." While working the boutique she said she pick out clothes and assist a family with a little boy who she will always remember. "I met a foster boy named David and he was being fostered by a good family. He was so cute!"

Olivia says her favorite volunteer event ever with Hands4Hope was the Sacramento Homeless Outreach for the holidays. "I loved going down to WIND and making cookies," she said. "We had a lot of time to talk and really get to know the less fortunate people. I had some great conversation with them."

She says working with the homeless has made her realize a lot. "Homeless people are like us and they need care just like anyone else," she said. "(Doing this) opens your eyes and makes you realize how much you have and how often people take things for granted."

Olivia says she is grateful for Hands4Hope. "I've changed a lot and it made me a better person. I get to come up with my own ideas and do them."

Olivia has recruited many of her own friends and says she loves spreading the word about the organization. "I like everyone that I have met and I like that Hands4Hope is youth based and we get to go out and help the community while spending time with our friends."

Thank you for all you do, Olivia!  We are so lucky to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment