Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Youth Volunteer Spotlight: Kory

Kory started volunteering with Hands4Hope in 2010. His first event was Homeless Outreach in Sacramento, and he said the event surprised him. "I've done other volunteering before, but Hands4Hope is very direct," he said. "It was much different than what I expected because it was hands on and we got to meet the people we were serving and they ended up helping us get set up when we arrived. What's most shocking are the people with out the basic needs." 

Kory has been a key player in getting a Hands4Hope club started at Ponderosa High School. He attended the high school leadership retreat in Coloma for three days in August. "This is my first time being involved in a leadership role and it has really helped me with public speaking and becoming more out going," he said.
"I really enjoy it and I believe high schoolers can inspire the next generation." The Ponderosa H4H club has grown quickly and is off to a great start!

Kory said another event he really enjoyed was the blanket making party he attended with some of his friends. "I liked making them for people, especially during the winter months."

Overall, Kory said volunteering has been a positive experience. "It has really made me more empathetic, I know I can't relate but I understand," he said.
"I have learned a lot of people in our community need help and it's great to make a difference," he said. 

"I think Hands4Hope is successful because it's direct and we're doing something from both sides. I believe youth can have a big impact on our community"

We are so grateful for you, Kory!


No comments:

Post a Comment