Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Youth Volunteer Spotlight: Caleb & Zach


 
Brothers Caleb & Zach started volunteering with Hands4Hope in January of 2011. Both have volunteered for several events and say they found a "love" for service.

Caleb, 11, says one of his favorite events is the Food Bank Blitz. "I was shocked because a lot of people donated money, even some who didn't have a lot of money themselves," he said. "We got a lot of mac and cheese for hungry people."

When he first got involved in Hands4Hope, Zach, 9, says he wasn't really sure if he would like volunteering. "I didn't know if I would like it," he said. "But after I went, I realized how fun it was and I wanted to do it over and over again. I want to stay in Hands4Hope forever."

Both boys are very involved in Team Hope and work together with their teammates to save money through Change4Hope. "This year we donated our money to Homeward Bound and we got to meet Romeo [the dog] and it was cool to pet him," said Zach.

Going out to feed the homeless for the first time in Placerville was something new to them. "I didn't know what to expect," said Caleb. "I always like seeing Everett [a homeless gentleman in Placerville], he has a dog and he is always so nice to us. He has a really good grip handshake."

"I can't believe [the homeless] are so touched by everything we do, even if it is really little," said Zach. "We've started spending some of our own money on dog treats for the homeless and they always remember we have them. It's really neat."

The brothers have also spent several Saturdays volunteering at Green Valley Community Church helping with the food distribution. "I remember one lady who came in looking for an extra dessert because it was her husband's Birthday. We gave her a cake and I remember she was so excited and grateful. It was touching," said Caleb.

"We have so much. A house, food, and toys... we like to share," said Zach. "I appreciate everything I have now," added Caleb.


Caleb and Zach, thank you very much for all of your hard work.

GVCC Food Distribution


 Team Hope Meeting
Homeless Outreach Placerville

Great Job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment