Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Youth Volunteer Spotlight: Haley

{Haley, right, at the Spring Food Blitz 2012}

Haley started volunteering in September of 2011 after hearing about it from a friend and joining the ORHS Hands4Hope club. She said she was hooked on it after her first few Outreach Activities. Since September, Haley has volunteered nearly 50 hours.

Haley said Hands4Hope has had a positive impact on her life. “I have really come to appreciate more of what I have,” she said. “Volunteering has made me a better person because it opens my eyes to how fortunate I am, even for the simplest things like food and clothes.” She said it has also changed the way she looks at things. “Before I joined H4H, when I saw a homeless person I didn’t really think much of them. But now, when I see a homeless person, I think… how can I help?”

“I enjoy all of the outreach activities, but my favorite is working with White Rock Village doing Project Birthday and making lunches with them,” she said. “When I am at White Rock, it feels like everyone is a big family and I have grown close to some of the kids. I look forward to visiting them and I know they will always find a way to make my day.”

Haley said she’s had many memorable moments volunteering. “When I was volunteering at GVCC, I met a 7-year-old girl and her father. Her dad was telling us about how she makes him sandwiches for dinner and helps him all the time because it’s just the two of them,” she said. “I will always remember this because I was amazed at how mature and responsible this girl was at 7.”

“I have definitely stepped out of my comfort zone by being a part of Hands4Hope,” she said. “Being part of the youth committee at Oak Ridge has taught me responsibility and communication skills. Before joining I was not expecting to have so much responsibility with helping plan activities like Project Birthday. It has also taught me to become more open in expressing my ideas.”

Haley said Hands4Hope has given her an idea of what she wants to do in her future. “I'm not exactly sure what I want to be when I grow up, but I know that I want to help people. Hands4Hope has really helped me realize my passion for wanting to help others.”
{Haley and team serving cupcakes at the Gifts of Mercy dinner in 2011}
{Haley, right, helping out at the Winter Boutique}

Thank you for all of your hard work, Haley!  We are so lucky to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment